About Us

 
 

---The Beginning

 
 
Annandale Evangelical Free Church traces its beginnings to special meetings held in a temporary tarpaper building called the “Tabernacle.” Evangelist Carl Lindberg came to Annandale around 1915 and had a tabernacle constructed on the Gene Lundeen lot near the beach on Pleasant Lake.
 
The tabernacle services were sponsored by members of the Albion Free Church who were concerned about the spiritual welfare of the Annandale community. Some of those involved were from Annandale but were driving to services at the Albion and Crow River Churches in the country.
 
A charter meeting for the new Annandale Evangelical Free Church was held February 23, 1923, at the home of Alfred and Selma Brown. Reverend Eugene Wernberg led the meeting and Walter Lundeen acted as Secretary. The charter members present were Mr. & Mrs. John Larson, Mr. & Mrs. Alfred Brown, Oscar Brown, Hannah Brown, Mr. & Mrs. Carl Lundeen, and Mr. & Mrs. Walter Brown.
 
In 1925 Rev. Paul Cassel, at that time pastor of the Albion Free Church, was asked to spend half of his time serving the growing Annandale Church. The group rented the German Evangelical Reformed Church, a brick building located one block south of Brown’s Ice Cream factory. In 1930, Rev. Paul Nelson came to serve the two churches. While he was pastor in 1932 the Annandale Church began to rent the property of the Advent Christian Church. This building, along with seating, piano, pulpit and parsonage, was purchased in 1946 and later remodeled in 1963.
 
 
---The Formative Years
 
During those years the Annandale and Albion Churches shared a pastor who was housed at the Albion parsonage. Worship services alternated morning at one church’s location and evening at the other. A special business meeting was held on August 10, 1943 to discuss starting a full-time work in Annandale. As a result of this meeting Rev. Wallace Larson was called as the first full-time pastor in Annandale.
 
Over the next few decades the church continued to grow. It saw another remodeling program, several pastors and in the mid-1980s under the leadership of Pastor George Klippenes, 14 acres of land were purchased just east of town on Highway 55 where a parsonage and new church were built. The first service in the present location was held on Christmas Eve, December 24, 1988.
 
 
 
 

--- Today

In August 1992 Rev. Dennis Johnson began serving as senior pastor. By the summer of 2002 a large addition including a new sanctuary was completed tripling the size of the building.

Multiple ministries have been added over the last several years with pastoral staff added as well.Under the present leadership, our average Sunday worship attendance has grown to 450.As we look back over several decades of God’s faithfulness, we are deeply thankful for the Godly heritage that is ours here at Annandale Evangelical Free Church. Our prayer is that God will continue to use our church to reach all people for Christ.

    

I